!st digitally recorded album in UK... 1980!

Discuss any non-related Stranglers bands here

Moderator: StanInBlack

Burn e 77
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

!st digitally recorded album in UK... 1980!

Post by Burn e 77 »

The first ever digitally recorded album released in the UK in 1980... wasn't Dire Straites or Pink Floyd... it was a great Ska/ Punk /Dub combo The BEAT... their debut "I JUST CAN'T STOP IT "was recorded at the Roundhouse Studios Camden... produced by the John Peel Sessions producer Bob Sargeant... with "Mirror in the Bathroom" taken from the album as a single... (incredibly Britain's 1st ever digitally recorded single) which reached No. 4 in the BBC charts in 1980... This album is now reissued as a 2CD + 1DVD pack... Includes hits... Mirror In The Bathroom, Hands Off She's Mine, Stand Down Margaret, Can't Get Use To Losing You, Best Friend... and Alexinblack's favourite skankin tune Tears Of A Clown... 8)
Burn e 77
Something better change!
Derbyducks in Black
Rats Rally

Re: !st digitally recorded album in UK... 1980!

Post by Derbyducks in Black »

well i stand to be corrected on this... but are sure??? i remember the '3M' 32 track digital recorder at the roundhouse it was a prototype of sorts.. when the thing was installed they ran a full colour ad in the pro music press... can't remember the mag.. but they ran an accompanying article about roundhouse studios and stuff.. thinking about it.. it might have been hairy folk rockers jethro tull or uriah heap.. or some such band and whether they pressed a record after using said equipment.. i don't know...in which case you are probably correct..!!!!! and this has been as always me talkin' crap...

Cheers
David
Anyone seen Sir Winkler...
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

Maybe digitally recorded but Tomorrow's World didn't even demo CDs until 1981 and the first release was a Billy Joel album in 82' http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compact_Disc

Jim
"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
Derbyducks in Black
Rats Rally

theraven1979 wrote:Maybe digitally recorded but Tomorrow's World didn't even demo CDs until 1981 and the first release was a Billy Joel album in 82' http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compact_Disc

Jim

good point...Jim

they were digitally recorded but required analogue mastering for the cutting head... which depending on your point of view rather defeated the object as it added tape hiss to the eventual sound of the LP..

Cheers
David
Burn e 77
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by Burn e 77 »

It was infact... as stated... the 1st Digitally recorded LP in UK, released on (Vinyl LP and 7" Single)... strange but true folks!
cheers
Burn e 77
Something better change!
Derbyducks in Black
Rats Rally

Burn e 77 wrote:It was infact... as stated... the 1st Digitally recorded LP in UK, released on (Vinyl LP and 7" Single)... strange but true folks!
cheers
Burn e 77

Cheers... i'll keep my mouth shut then...

David
Burn e 77
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by Burn e 77 »

Derbyducks in Black wrote:
Burn e 77 wrote:It was infact... as stated... the 1st Digitally recorded LP in UK, released on (Vinyl LP and 7" Single)... strange but true folks!
cheers
Burn e 77

David
It's my fault... i didn't mention... (ON VINYL) ... in my original post... so your remarks were totally justified Mr Ducks... PS. the "Picture The Song" is an import... so that's a good clue... but not French!!
cheersBurn e 77
Something better change!
Bobinblack
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by Bobinblack »

Mirror in the Bathroom, about as ska as The Darkness are heavy metal, but by far my favourite single from the Beat, I loves it man :grin:
Think I'll go for a stroll in the trees.
Derbyducks in Black
Rats Rally

Burn e 77 wrote:
Derbyducks in Black wrote:
cheers
Burn e 77

David
It's my fault... i didn't mention... (ON VINYL) ... in my original post... so your remarks were totally justified Mr Ducks... PS. the "Picture The Song" is an import... so that's a good clue... but not French!!
cheersBurn e 77

no... it's quite alright i knew what you meant... that's why i remarked on the roundhouse as it was one of the first to record digitally... Cd's came later...

in this link... you'll see the advert i referred to earlier...

have a look at this... http://www.philsbook.com/roundhouse.html
As part of the 1980 refit they took delivery of 3M 32 track and 4 track recorders and a digital editing package. The Townhouse cutting rooms had also taken delivery of a 4 track 3M at the same time, so there was at least one cutting room in London that they could use! The Beat's single "Mirror in the Bathroom" was one of the first all digital recordings to enter the chart.
Cheers
David