New keyboard player

JJ Burnel, ...., Baz Warne, Jim Macaulay.

Moderator: StanInBlack

theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Re: New keyboard player

Post by theraven1979 »

What don't you like about the HC solo albums? The quality of the songwriting? Vocal performance?

Jim
ricam wrote:
StanInBlack wrote:
ricam wrote: 02 Nov 2021, 21:47 personally I find his creativity peaked approximately 40 years ago.

I don't rate HC solo albums and therefore don't think he has only had a minor blip in song writing quality.

To me he has been on a pretty steady decline for 40 year's to the point that I've little interest in any future work and although my expectations are low, I will give any new work a listen at some point.

Sent from my SM-A226B using Tapatalk

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

StanInBlack wrote: 02 Nov 2021, 23:17
alaninblack wrote: 02 Nov 2021, 22:34 Where did you mention "quality" of work, you said they was in creative paralysis which indicates that they could not write anything be it good or bad.
You're talking about writers block. I don't think the original members of The Stranglers had writers block during the MKII period, I think they couldn't be arsed and they were content to let the newbies do it for them. I also don't think JJ had writers block during the Norfolk Coast/Suite XVI period, but I do think he was self-consciously playing it safe which is a form of creative paralysis in and of itself. I do think they've had difficulty in coming up with material post-Giants and there's a possibility there could have been a degree of writers block involved. Given the number of ideas they claimed to have had, I'd say it was more that they couldn't be arsed.
Greatkudu wrote: 02 Nov 2021, 22:58 Baz dislikes the M.I.B album which surprises me?
It doesn't surprise me at all, given the sort of music that Baz has been involved in throughout his career pre-Stranglers and given the songs he's covered in his acoustic sets over the years, which shed light on Baz's musical preferences. Do I think that Baz Warne has anything of the calibre of The Gospel According to the Meninblack in him? Absolutely not.
I agree with your Hugh comments and gopsel and Baz influences pre stranglers all fair enough i get what your saying,but this writers block post Giants how can that be when DM by the majority think it's better than Giants? and the lack of ideas when they said they had plenty to write about well they did i feel and it's in the album's heavily written subjects track after track or do you think not?.NC the album is a pure JJ fantastic written album for sure most would agree post Hugh can't see any writer's block there i feel,pre NC but post Hugh which is a long time there wasn't much to write home about i agree there yes with poor material with albums like about time for me and more,WIR good album but obviously heavily written i'm lead to believe by PR & JE.So me agreeing with alot of what you say is alot of.... swings and roundabouts but i do mostly agree with your Hugh comments and the Gospel for sure your spot on in my opinion,so overall i agree with you and think your right on a lot of what your saying.
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

toilerinblack wrote: 03 Nov 2021, 00:00 but this writers block post Giants how can that be when when DM by the majority think it's better than Giants?
You do realise that the process of creating something and the way the end result is perceived by someone not involved in the creative process are two entirely different things, right?
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by 8088 »

StanInBlack wrote: 02 Nov 2021, 20:51
8088 wrote: 02 Nov 2021, 16:40 It's not really an achievement that Hugh goes out and performs solo material
Of course it's not, it's what solo artists do and it has absolutely zip to do with anything that I've said. That Hugh has - and has always had - complete faith and belief in his post-Stranglers work is undeniable.
Seems I have to explain it again.

You maintain that Hugh has the upper hand over The Stranglers because he goes out and largely tours new material whereas The Stranglers rely on the established hits and are therefore creatively bankrupt.

Again, Hugh left The Stranglers do be a solo artist, therefore touring his new solo stuff is not going one better than The Stranglers - it's simply what he'd be expected to do as a solo artist wanting to distance himself from his previous band.

The Stranglers however didn't leave themselves - they were under no obligation to move forward and come up with a different setlist of material in a new direction - they weren't trying to leave the old songs behind like Hugh was.
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

I think we can all agree "the stranglers" output (creativity if you wanna call it that.....careful!) has been pretty barren, almost non existent with the odd album appearing decades apart in some instances. There's no denying that, simple fact.

Jim

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Yanders

Post by Yanders »

I think they've produced about he same amount of material, give or take, the difference is that hugh actually plays his. It indicates that the stranglers themselves don't rate their output that highly.
Bobinblack
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by Bobinblack »

ISN'T THIS THREAD SUPPOSED TO BE ABOUT THE NEW KEYBOARD PLAYER?
Think I'll go for a stroll in the trees.
droopsnoot
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by droopsnoot »

Bobinblack wrote: 03 Nov 2021, 09:39 ISN'T THIS THREAD SUPPOSED TO BE ABOUT THE NEW KEYBOARD PLAYER?
Didn't you get the memo? All threads in this section of the forum eventually descend into the same old Hugh vs. The Stranglers debate, courtesy of the same few posters.
http://www.firenza.net - my homage to a seventies Vauxhall
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

I think that was discussed in the first 30 pages. Do keep up! :lol:

Jim
Bobinblack wrote: 03 Nov 2021, 09:39 ISN'T THIS THREAD SUPPOSED TO BE ABOUT THE NEW KEYBOARD PLAYER?
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

It's looking very unlikely that there will be any official announcement, unless it's on the eve of the French tour. Lt Kudu.
Palais81
VERSATRAN SERIES F

Post by Palais81 »

Here's a question: do you think that Mr Hounsham will be using the same equipment as Dave did live? Or will he try to mimic the sounds using a couple of synths? Important if they want to keep the same live experience.

Post by 8088 »

Palais81 wrote: 03 Nov 2021, 14:44 Here's a question: do you think that Mr Hounsham will be using the same equipment as Dave did live? Or will he try to mimic the sounds using a couple of synths? Important if they want to keep the same live experience.
Dave's set up was mainly controller keyboards - hopefully Toby will use his own samplers/soft synths/rack units with those because his sound much better.